The BuzzBuzzHome forums are closed to new posts and replies.
Read more about this here.

Change Location

MATTHEW SLUTSKY
Senior Buzzer
reply 2299 vote 171

Why not turn the Gardiner Expressway into a version of The High Line in New York??

Above: The Gardiner Expressway running through downtown Toronto.

There is so much talk about the Gardiner Expressway in Toronto, and what to do with it. Why not turn it into a Toronto version of The High Line in New York??

Above: The High Line in New York(Source:http://nyclovesnyc.blogspot.ca/2013/07/midsummer-on-high-line-new-yorks-park.html)

Don't know what The High Line is?? Here is the Wiki description:

"TheHigh Lineis a 1-mile (1.6km) New York City linear park built on a 1.45-mile (2.33km) section of the elevated formerNew York Central Railroad spur called theWest Side Line, which runs along thelower west side of Manhattan; it has been redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway....

...The recycling of the railway into an urban park has spurred real estate development in the neighborhoods which lie along the line."

The idea of The High Line came from Paris, with the Promenade Plantee.

Sure, it would cost a fortune to create something like this, but it could be incredible for the city, and really drawn the waterfront community back into the city.    

Thoughts?
Toronto / General Chit-Chat

JULIAN BACK
Buzzer
reply 35 vote 14

1 BEST REPLY
I would love to see that!!!

JULIAN BACK
Buzzer
reply 35 vote 14

MARCO DIFOTI
Senior Buzzer
reply 550 vote 45

This is a great - albeit expensive - idea.

Here are a few cool renderings from @Quadrangle Architects Ltd.and Councillor Mammoliti:

JULIAN BACK
Buzzer
reply 35 vote 14

JULIAN BACK
Buzzer
reply 35 vote 14

JULIAN BACK
Buzzer
reply 35 vote 14

DYLAN DILECCE
Buzzer
reply 89 vote 13

Would be an amazing civic undertaking - I hope they do something that integrates well with both the north and south of the Gardiner.

Not now, but I think in the next ten years or so there should be some serious discussions about burying the railway tracks on either side of Union. Any major city with the degree of urban residents that Toronto has already would have buried the tracks or found another solution - New York's pretty well always had that with Penn Station and try to think of any other city you see such huge transit lines cut through their central cores.

I chatted with one of the leads from PwC who's consulting on the Union Station renovation about it and he mentioned the ground composition is not suitable to bury it since that area was built out of the water with trash - doesn't make sense considering the south core development though.

When there's a pent up demand for infill sites in the core (which I'm sure there will be in the future once all the parking lots are built on), I think this can become a serious undertaking. Land parcels can be sold to developers above the tracks and their sale can help finance the burying of the tracks. It would also give us a great opportunity to add greenspace in the core which often is a complaint with earlier urban planning in the city - that there's not nearly enough (devoid of the Islands).

Imagine how unified and awesome the downtown core would look with skyscrapers and parks filling either side of Union and a high-line of sorts above the Gardiner!

What do you guys think? 

FRED CODE ARCHITECT
Buzzer
reply 14 vote 3

pics/ideas of #2 + 6 beautiful...however...in #2, would be quite a significant impact on business functioning of downtown if vehicle circulation of Gardiner dropped/not replaced. In #5, isn't the main knock against the present Gardiner the visual barrier it creates to the lake?

Follow

Search

Search Conversations:

Check These Out

Arroyo Vista Estates, House

Arroyo Vista Estates

belaflor.com

House

767 N Sun Rd Apache Junction Arizona

From $950,000 To $1,250,000

Water Crest on Lake Conroe, House

Water Crest on Lake Conroe