It is a simple function of supply and demand:
1. The size of the area is pretty small;
2. It is a close walk to the subway line;
3. It is right on the St. Clair Streetcar line;
4. There are amazing parks in the vicinity;
5. There is the Wychwood Barns in the 'hood; and,
6. You are pretty much downtown.
Due to the above, and many more factors, of course the prices are going up, up, up! The area is in heavy demand. I see nothing wrong with this.
Couple this with the fact that higher land values equates to more property tax, and you've got a great thing.